Last week we spoke about the benefits of infrared saunas for your skin. This week in part two, we are going to talk about detoxification, how sweat purifies your body and some detox diet tips.
Perspiring helps you to rejuvenate by:
1) Strengthening your immune system
A build-up of toxins can lead to some common illnesses. If you’re a busy person, it’s important to have a strong immune system. That way you can prevent any colds and flus from affecting your active lifestyle.
The US Centre for Disease Control claims personal environments or lifestyles can be harmful. They estimate them to be the root causes of more than 80% of all illnesses¹.
2) Increasing energy levels
In the detoxification process, your body is forced to recover and repair damaged cells. This leaves you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. It can bring back your sense of vitality!
3) Slowing down the aging process
Bad toxins including heavy metals and free radicals build up in your body over time. Perspiration can have a long term effect on anti-aging which can help you live a fuller and happier life. Skin health is talked about in our previous blog.
4) Bringing about a sense of wellbeing
Life is short and it’s important to feel your best as often as possible! A detox program can give you the energy and vitality to do the things you love and to improve all the key areas of your life.
What else can you do?
Infrared saunas are great for detox and the process can be enhanced with a balanced diet. Here are some diet tips from Sparkle Well²:
- Eat all the colours of the rainbow and reap the rewards of the antioxidant action of many coloured plant chemicals. Create a colourful array in your salads and vegetable servings:
Detox Salad Recipe
- Red cabbage
- Mung beans
- Sunflower and poppy seeds with a squeeze of lemon juice, or steamed Brussels sprouts
- Sweet potato
- Purple beans drizzled with virgin organic olive oil
- We all know that the majority of our bodies consist of water, so it makes sense that refreshing this matrix with pure water will aide detoxification. Replace daily losses (average 2 litres/day) with the purest water available. Water is increasingly polluted, whether through fluoride contamination, through purification with chlorides or run offs from industrial wastes. Collect from a spring, from the sky, or get it from the tap and filter it. Drink it to stoke the digestive fire and enhance cellular hydration, by consuming an hour or so either side of meals. If you are looking for hydration supplements, we offer them here.
Have you tried a detox program? What kind of results did you see? Chat with us in the comments below.
Looking for more wellness tips? Read this.
¹Sunlighten, Detoxification, www.sunlighten.com/detox.html
²Sparklewell, Sally Mathrick, http://www.sparklewell.com.au/2012/11/simple-detox-message; Written June 2009 and previously published in Wellbeing Australia issue #1234
*Sunlighten does not provide medical advice. We recommend you consult with a health care practitioner if you are unsure if using an infrared sauna is right for you. For best results, our saunas should be used in conjunction with an appropriate diet and exercise program. Individual results may vary.